Well, it certainly took longer than I thought it would, but we officially have a kitchen island! I will save you the story of all the roadblocks we encountered while trying to place that island, and just tell you that we did it. :) You have no idea how proud we are of that beauty!
We are still without a sink, cooktop and oven but are starting to see real progress which helps keep us motivated for the time being. We are hoping by late next week that we have a working kitchen again, which is - of course - dependent on the electrician coming through for us.Who knew electricians were so popular?!
Here's how our list is looking at the moment...
Remove partition wall between dining room and kitchen Dismantle existing kitchen cabinets & island Remove dishwasher, range and microwave (and sell!) Remove tile flooring in dining room
- Remove and/or reroute electrical from partition wall (hired out)
Assemble new kitchen cabinets Have wood floors extended and refinished (hired out)
- Repair drywall on ceiling and wall from wall removal (after the electrical + inspection)
- Install new cabinets, hardware, drawers and doors (the island is done, hoping to get the rest done in the next few days!)
- Have new countertops installed (hired out) - measuring this week, hopefully install next week!
- Install new sink & cooktop (once countertops are in)
- Install hood over new cooktop (once countertops are in)
- Tile wall above sink & cooktop (this one will be delayed until we live with the space a bit and decide which type and color of tile to go with here.)
- Put toe kicks, moulding, and other finishing touches on the space
It is all starting to come together now, which is a huge relief! When you convince your husband that demolishing a wall is a good idea, and you have measured and designed the kitchen without seeing the space opened up first, you cross your fingers and hope it all turns out okay! I am happy to say that we are both very pleased with how it is turning out so far!