A True English Tradition

One thing I have grown to love since I began visiting England with Chris 4 years ago, is what is commonly known as "pub atmosphere" at English pubs.  It really is a unique, friendly and inviting atmosphere.  We have our own version of this at various sports bars, where you can make friends (or frenemies?) over local and national sporting events, of course.  But for some reason, it isn't quite the same.  Maybe it also has to do with the British sense of humor, as I have actually experienced a similar feeling when Chris and I have attended a British Expat event at a local pub here in Colorado.  (And I would know... just ask Chris' uncle who confirmed last time we visited, that I have a great sense of humor... for an American! Haha, love him. )

Whatever it is, when people refer to "pub atmosphere", I know I like it.  And we hope to do our best to replicate that experience tonight, as we try out a local "English" pub for the first time.  It is owned by a British couple, so expectations are high, I'm not going to lie.  

{ from the photos, it doesn't have quite the charm of a traditional English pub, but I have a good feeling about the place... maybe we will even meet some crazy locals... }

The menu promises the best British pubs have to offer, or at least the cheesy things we expect when dining in our very own English pub splendor.  Like what, you ask?  Cornish Pasties (yum!), bangers & mash (double yum! If I still ate meat, that is..), fish & chips, chips & curry (that's fries with curry sauce to us Yanks!), shepherd's pie, & scotch eggs (eww, not for me... but Chris loves them!).

{ enjoying a pasty for the first time! don't let that look on my face fool you... I loved ever last bite! }

{ side note: when I first met Chris, and he would refer to the "local," I had no idea what he was talking about. Local what?  Local pub, of course, but the pub is a given there I guess.  :)  On an even more random side note, the song by The Script refers to "my local down the street," and had I not already known the meaning behind this, that part of the song would have been lost on me.  Funny how I notice myself picking up on things like that now...  Sorry, end randomness. }

The verse from the song, in case you are wondering what I am talking about...

Am I better off dead?
Am I better off a quitter?
They say I'm better off now
Than I ever was with her
As they take me to my local down the street
I'm smiling but I'm dying trying not to drag my feet...

They say a few drinks will help me to forget her
But after one too many I know that I'll never
Only they can't see where this is gonna end
They all think I'm crazy but to me it's perfect sense...

Oh, and the beer menu doesn't look to shabby either.  How could I have left out one of the most (okay, the most!) important part?!  I could go for a pint... who's with me?!