Buddhist Meditation

One thing that has been on my to-do list for a while is to attend a Buddhist temple and try a meditation session.  Although I have done a similar form of meditation in the past, I have been hesitant (nervous?) to go on my own. So in an attempt to actually make it happen, I added this to my 2013 Summer Bucket List.  And the form that is at the top of my list is Loving Kindness Mediation.

{ from our visit to Hong Kong last year }

I think many people turn to religion in hard times, allowing their faith to pull them through.  I have never been a very religious person, though that does not mean I do not have my own beliefs.  I find that Buddhism calls to me in a way that traditional religion does not.  To me, Buddhism is more a way of life.  A life practicing wisdom, compassion and awareness.  I appreciate the ability to see the good in any situation, and although I do feel like I an fairly good at this, I want to challenge myself to follow this path even in hard times.

I also appreciate that with Buddhism, it is not about convincing others to follow the same principles, but is more about leading by example.  Those who choose to follow certainly can, but it is never pressed upon anyone that they should believe what you believe, when it comes to Buddhism.  


In my endless attempt to continue to grow and evolve, I hope that this is an area that I can make some real progress.  It is so easy to allow the negative things that surround us to take over, and I hope that in times of struggle, this meditation can be my solace.

The result of my desire for growth?  I am going to the temple tonight!  I am very much looking forward to it, and am happily dragging Chris along with me.  Hey, haven't you ever heard of safety in numbers?!  Luckily, Chris is just as interested in all of this as I am.

Have you tried meditation?  Do you feel like it had a positive impact on you?

Wish me luck!