British English v. American English

Over the course of our relationship, Chris and I have often laughed about how different British English and American English can be. From word meanings, to slang and phrases, we are constantly asking, "what does that mean?"  I am from a small town, so any time I use a word or phrase that Chris is unfamiliar with he says, "oh I love your country sayings!" haha, they typically are not just small town sayings, but well-known terms in the states, but I love that he always says that when this comes up.



Just a fun little list of differences to start your week, followed by a very funny story.

1.  Charley horse 
charley horse is a popular North American colloquial term for painful spasms or cramps in the leg muscles typically lasting from a few seconds to about a day. }
  
Chris accidentally elbowed my thigh, to which I exclaimed, "owwww you just gave me a charley horse!"  
Chris: "I just gave you a what?!"  
:)

2.  Capillaries
I know, a strange thing to come up in conversation, but somehow it did. And when he said it, I asked the obligatory,"capillaries?" Not because I don't know what capillaries are, but because he pronounces it: cuh-PILL-aries.  When I finally understood what he meant, I was rolling on the floor laughing.  Chris, in turn, rolled his eyes sarcastically and said, "okay...how do YOU say it?"  
Me; "CAP-illaries."  

It is important to note that anytime Chris mocks (*cough* I mean, copies) the way Americans say anything he does one of two things: he either repeats it with a southern accent (because apparently all Americans are southern), or he puts on a very nasally voice.  He did the latter when mocking the way we say CAP-illaries.  Dying.

3.  Okay, so before I tell you this one, I admit that this is most definitely a country saying. And I own it.  :)

Chris and I were finishing up dinner out one night, and were debating whether or not to stop at a new store that had opened up down the road.  If you know us, you know that we can be a bit indecisive and as Chris was going back and forth about whether to just head home or stop by the store, I said: "Let's just go... otherwise we are just going to go home and sit like two bumps on a log."  Haha. Chris literally came to a dead stop as we were walking to the car and said, "go home and be WHAT?!" 

Haha, okay, it's a country saying but it's a darn good one. :)  The funny thing is, I am so used to hearing that growing up that I didn't even realize I had said it!

{ Bump On A Log: if someone sits or stands somewhere like a bump on a log, they do not react in a useful or helpful way to the activities happening around them }

Okay, so this next one really gets me and I recount this story to anyone who will listen (or read!).

Chris and I were out to dinner with our best friends one evening and somehow the topic of conversation turned to Sacha Baron Cohen and the extreme, shocking nature of his movies.  Chris and I told our friends that we had started watching his latest movie, but after about 15 minutes were like, 'okay, we've seen enough.' 

Our friend said, "yeah it is complete shock value with his movies, after awhile it's like beating a dead horse."  To which, Chris responded: "he did?!?!" 

I have to admit that at first I thought, 'he did what?' Until it dawned on me that he thought Sacha Baron Cohen had actually beat a dead horse in his latest movie.  While not completely out of his realm of humor, Chris simply hadn't heard the expression before, and we could literally not stop laughing at how silly the expression actually is, once you stop and think about it.  


There are many more funny stories about the differences we have found, I will share more soon!  Hope you enjoyed and all have a great week! In the meantime, you can enjoy the British English translations on the left hand side of my blog. :)

Have you come across any funny differences like this?  Have any that you want me to ask Chris, to see if he knows what it means? Leave them in the comments below!  Don't be shy, we can have some fun with this!